Social media is one of the most prominent things of modern world. Most people are really not aware of the impact that social media is creating in their lives. There is a need to understand the impact of social media on our mental health as well. Professional therapists like Karen Corcoran Walsh urges to understand the proper impact of social media on mental health, in order to deal with our lives in a better way. If you spend a lot of your time on social media, this article is for you as this will help you understand the impact of spending more time on social media on your brain and well-being. For instance, depression is one of the most common things that teens and kids are facing because of the excessive use of social media, but this is not the only problem that they are facing, there are many other impacts which are worth discussing, as only after a good discussion on these points, you will be able to deal with those in an effective manner.
Why is it important?
Social media is a blessing, but excessive and non-productive use of social media has created many problems for us. Especially, teenagers and middle-aged people are facing the many consequences of spending more time on social media. If you do not want to face these consequences, you must know how to and what can be done in this regard. The first thing that you should do is to find a good therapist who can help you with the ways on how to avoid excessive usage and how not to take most of the negative impact of social media. In this article, we will briefly discuss how social media is affecting our mental health in a negative way.
- Social media brings more sadness than happiness – people think that social media is a relaxation tool, and it will bring happiness in their lives, however this is not true, in fact people start feeling sadder after excessive usage of social media.
- Social media is addictive, and we waste more time on social media than anything – Anything thatis addictive in nature can never be good for our brains. We waste our time on social media and it is not at all a healthy thing for our minds.
- People start comparing their lives with others – This is not healthy, and it is important not to compare our lives with others if we want to spend a peaceful life.
- People think that social media is a cure but – Many people start using social media in a hope to cure their depression and sadness, but in reality, they feel more depressed after they use it!
- Excessive use of social media can ignite jealousy and can badly impact mental state
- More friends but lesser closed ones – on social media, people make a lot of friends, but these are not the close ones and are not there to help you when you need, this thing creates social disturbance and impacts our brain in a negative way.